Sunday, November 05, 2006

Doin my head in!





SADDAM HUSSAIN TO HANG?






I've tapped in from time to time to this trial and have struggled to hold a Christ-like view.

I have no doubt that this dictator ruthlessly oppressed the very people he claimed to serve.
I have no doubt that he was behind the genocide and I have no doubt that many will be happy to see him "removed".
I have no doubt that Iraq as a nation deserved better leadership than they had under Saddam. (Its highly questionable if they have that just now)

But I am disturbed by the obvious political puppeteering in which the Bush Whitehouse are the major string-pullers. I am disturbed that this trial appears to have been anything but open and just, and I'm concerned that the verdict, although understandably welcomed by many, may well be unreliable if not unjust.

Maybe this is ok when the one on trial is an obvious despot?
Maybe this is ok when his death may be a catalyst for a more lasting peace?
Maybe this is ok when his "removal" serves the Anglo/American political and economical agenda?

Maybe?, but I remain disturbed and concerned especially as I try to walk in the footsteps of the Prince of Peace, Man of sorrows, Son of Man, who called us to "follow Him".

As usual we're left with more questions than answers but we must consider these difficult questions of faith, politics and ethics.

2 comments:

Deirds said...

Lots of questions there Mark.

I hadn't followed much of the trial (well any) until I heard yesterday on the radio that Saddam was due to be sentenced today & then the sentence this morning.

There is no doubt that he ruled with a fist of oppression & genocide. Yes, he should have been removed. And it's right that he should face consequences for his actions.

But, I am saddened in my soul & find myself questionning the death sentence decree. Don't get me wrong, he deserves to be punished without doubt. I was sadder to hear that the British & American leaders "welcome" the death sentence. (Especially when we are supposed to be "Christian nations".) Is it ever right to repay murder with murder ? Is "an eye for an eye" not old testament law ? (I'm not saying there shouldn't be consequences for actions, there definately should be) Should we in all cases do as Jesus commands & "turn the other cheek" ?

It raises questions in me about the actions of the leaders of the Western powers when they send troops to Afghanistan/ Iraq/ in the past even us here in N. Ireland/ wherever. In a wider discussion where does the line between ethnic cleansing and peace keeping begin and end ? Whose feet does the responsibility lie at for actions of troops following orders ?

You are right - lots of questions, not all answerable. But discussions worth having none the less.

Jonny Watson said...

I have serious difficulty with the sentance handed to Sadam. The bottom line is that I believe that all people have the potential to change and repent and the death sentance does not allow this transformation.

There is no doubt that some of Sadam's behaviour as leader was outragous, particulalry against the Kurds.

Re) Iraq War

The reason for America and Britains 'illegal war' against Iraq was possession of weapons of mass destruction and links to the Bin Laden family. However all we have seen are 'words of mass deception' and evidence that the Bush family had stronger business links with the Bin Ladens than Sadam.

This illegal war has brought about thousands of deaths but will George Bush face trial for war crimes? Not likely.

Lets remind ourselves of George Bush, he is governor of Texas....It is no surprise that Texas has the highest execution rate in the United States. Was Sadam ever going to be dealt with in any other way.