Monday, October 02, 2006

Kyle's Song


Kyle’s Song

Kyle was a young American pastor who died very suddenly in the spring. He was supposed to preach the Sunday after he died, and his family found these words at the end of his sermon notes.

Live and live well
Breathe, – breathe in and breathe deeply
Be present, do not be past, do not be future
Be now!

On a crystal clear 70 degree day
Roll down the windows and feel the air against your skin, wind in your hair and warmth of the sun on your face.

If you run, then allow those first few breaths on a cool autumn day, to freeze your lungs.
Do not be alarmed –but be alive.

Get knee deep in a novel and lose track of time.

If you bike, pedal hard and if you crash, crash well

Feel the satisfaction of a job well done, a paper well written, a song well sung, a play well performed
a project thoroughly completed.

If you must wipe the snot from your 3 yr olds nose, don’t be disgusted if the Kleenex didn’t catch it all, cause soon he’ll be wiping his or her own nose.

If you’ve recently experienced loss, then grieve and grieve well.

At the table with friends and family, laugh.
If you’re eating and laughing at the same time, then laugh until you puke!

If you eat, then smell. The aromas are not impediments to your day.

Steak on the bar-b-que, coffee freshly ground, bread in the oven.

Taste. Taste every ounce of flavour, taste every ounce of friendship, taste every ounce of life,
because life is most definitely a gift.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Amen
good to see you back on the blog

Jonny Watson said...

The poem resonates with me. In many ways I feel I have only just begun to awaken spiritually in the last year. I realise how for much of my life I have strived for success and put myself in situations that have only led to fear. I have been trying to discover a new rhythm to my life which is more rooted in the 'here and now', which is unforced . Really I am trying to live a more simple life and discover joy in what is around me.

I love these words of John O'Donohue

I would love to live as a river flows, carried by the surprise of it's own unfolding.

The Minx said...

Kyle understood the importance of being the person God created him to be.

So many people suppress this individually crafted entity. A person stops being truely themselves in favour of an unreal person thought to be that which the nameless entity of "society" really wants them to be. How abusive. Little wonder so many people find themselves stressed and in emotional turmoil as they battle against their own creativity.

I think the greatest compliment that we can pay our Maker is to be the person He created us to be. When we love ourselves enough to be ourselves, then we can begin to understand the reason we have been given a special space to live here on this earth.

Mark said...

thanks for the honesty of the comments posted in response to Kyle's song.

I learnt at a very early age that wearing masks was supposed to be safer than either being ones self or allowing others to see the real me.

At 45 I've flunked the class on false faces and found it only leads to fear and misunderstanding.

So here's to being ourselves which as the Minx says, is surely our greatest act of worship to the God who loves us